Wednesday 18 May 2011

Supper Struggles!

So the crazy cycle started again with supper last night! It felt like a scene out of The Jungle Book, two vultures staring at our kitchen: "What do you wanna eat?" "I dunno, what do you wanna eat?" "I dunno, what do you wanna eat?" I was sorely tempted to buy a boxed pizza from Extra or Co-op, but remained firm in my convictions and started rummaging through the freezer and cupboards.

One thing that I have been trying to do lately is focus not so much on the quantity of food that we eat (though portion control is very important), but on the QUALITY of the food that we eat.  Making simple changes to our diet like switching brown rice for white rice and finding other sources of protein other than red meats like chicken, eggs, lentils, Greek yogurt, chick peas ect. I am also becoming quite intrigued with the idea of raw food diets, vegetarianism, and even exploring vegan trends. What these ideas or trends teach us is something that we have known all along: whole foods, dishes with very few ingredients, fish, rice, fresh veggies ect are what our bodies thrive on. If you look at the few indigenous people groups in the world right now you will notice that they have low to non-existent cancer rates and heart disease, they are lean and toned, strong and healthy. Flip through your Bible too and take a peek at Daniel and his buddies and their veggie strike...again, strong, healthy, smart.

I guess that I am just ranting a little, and voicing my concern about all the things in our society that taste sooooo good (or so we think) that we have forgotten how to like the truly good food in life. Food that you can pronounce all the ingredients on the label, or food that isn't even packaged at all! Our taste buds are so deceived that what we really should be craving to have a full and healthy and satisfying life, we no longer have a taste for! I guess for me this blog is my attempt to reclaim that taste and desire for what is good and pure and wholesome in our food!

So in all my rummaging I ended up putting on a pot of brown rice and steaming some spinach to go with it. I also found a bag of frozen mango pieces which I threw in the blender with a large cup of steeped organic green tea and honey. It wasn't a huge meal, but I could pronounce all of the ingredients. I felt satisfied and energized after eating. I didn't have to deal with eater's remorse, like I do when I cave and chuck a boxed pizza in the oven! 

Mango Green Tea
Frozen Mango Pieces
Large Cup of Steeped Green Tea (Organic is Best!)
Honey to Taste
Throw it all in a blender and then chill before enjoying!

Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment